Re: Linux Sound Issues

Hmm, I think hdparm did the trick...

turin:~# hdparm -t /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.76 seconds
=   2.13 MB/sec
turin:~# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
turin:~# hdparm -t /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  106 MB in  3.01 seconds
=  35.22 MB/sec

I thought of messing around with hdparm, never
realized how easy it was. So far I haven't noticed any
audio skipping when playing movies in kplayer or
playing mp3s while running find and apt-cache search
at the same time and didn't hear any skipping.
Although I've heard that enabling DMA on VIA686B could
cause data corruption and that's why it's disabled by
default, I guess I'm willing to take the risk. A very
big thank you to everyone that helped me.

=====
- Paul Burkett