Re: Swap Distribution

* Mariano Wahlmann (wahlmann@agro.uba.ar) [031204 05:46]:
> Hi, I'm currently admin , and here we use RedHat distribution, but last
> tendencies of RedHat, told me that i must to change my Linux
> Distribution, i thought about Debian, wich is very popular, but i want
> to know if debian has the an automatic update tool (like up2date), i

debian's maintenance and upgrade facilities blow everything at redhat
out of the water.  Completely.  In the redhat world, a reinstall is SOP.
With Debian, you'll never have to reinstall.  Upgrades just work.

> read that debian use apt, how long did debian keep support?, RedHat keep
> releasing uptades for 5 years for each version.

I don't know where you get that figure.  This:

  Red Hat Linux -- Red Hat's policy for Red Hat Linux distributions is
  to provide maintenance for at least 12 months. At certain times, Red
  Hat may extend errata maintenance for certain popular releases of the
  operating system. End of Life dates for errata maintenance for
  currently supported products are listed below:

  	Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike) 	  	April 30, 2004
  	Red Hat Linux 8.0 (Psyche) 	  	December 31, 2003
  	Red Hat Linux 7.3 (Valhalla) 	  	December 31, 2003
  	Red Hat Linux 7.2 (Enigma) 	  	December 31, 2003
  	Red Hat Linux 7.1 (Seawolf) 	  	December 31, 2003

comes from here:

http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/

I haven't been paying all that close attention, but I'm pretty sure 9
wasn't released in 1999, nor even 8.0 for that matter.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/