Re: The lost cramfs patch (was: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Florian Ernst" <florian@uni-hd.de>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: The lost cramfs patch (was: Debian Investigation Report
after Server Compromises)

>Hello Benedict!
>
>On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:08:05PM +0100, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
>So: Where is this patch hiding and how can you get it?
>
>I don't know about a place where you could download it from, but you
>can easily extract it from init/do_mounts.c from your Debian
>kernel-sources, just take everything matching 'cramfs' keeping any
>structures intact.

Heh. Then it's kind of logical that i don't find any package ;)

>You can find an outline on this page
>http://www.bolli.homeip.net/bb/cgi/blosxom.cgi/software/debian
>at 'Linux mit cramfs als initrd' (you won't need to understand German,
>though), but also see
>http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-kernel.en.html
>Actually you don't _need_ this patch at all.

It's indeed mentioned that you don't need one for a single machine.
Anyway, even if you do use an initrd, you can do it without cramfs
apparently by chagning the mkinitrd.conf file
There you have to change the MKINITRD but i'm not sure what
you can put in place of the mkcramfs there.

Regards,
Benedict