Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

on Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:16:15AM -0500, Greg Folkert (greg@gregfolkert.net) wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 02:03, Paul Johnson wrote:

> > > DMCA. Nuff said.
> >
> > Expand, please?  This is the digital equivalent of the classic
> > for-the-children bullshit copout, or the more contemporary (and
> > hopefully temporary) "homeland security" bullshit copout.
>
> DMCA sort of states: It is illegal to subvert any kind of "protection"
> to keep you out of things or publish the information on how-to do
> this... should you live in the USA.

Good point.  Though the text of the statute is sufficiently vague that
defining an operating system as "copyright protection system" is
debatable.

> If you want more info, I'll cut and paste the relevant parts of the
> DMCA. Come on, with the way Lexmark sued "replacement cartridge"
> manufactures because the toner cartridge uses "electronic measures" to
> communicate to the printer... Geez, is it *so* hard to understand this
> perverseness things can come to?

Lexmark lost that one, fortunately.  Not without a lot of trouble.

    http://www.arstechnica.com/archive/news/1067455401.html

> Again, if more info is needed, I'll be happy to Cut'n'Paste the relevant
> parts.

Peace.

   There is no K5 Cabal:  http://www.kuro5hin.org/