Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 02:03, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:16:44PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 14:12, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > > I'm afraid I'm part of the group that just doesn't understand. This
> > > snippet reeks of security through obscurity for me. If the hole has been
> > > identified and, presumably, fixed, why not tell people about it?
> >
> > DMCA. Nuff said.
>
> Expand, please?  This is the digital equivalent of the classic
> for-the-children bullshit copout, or the more contemporary (and
> hopefully temporary) "homeland security" bullshit copout.

DMCA sort of states: It is illegal to subvert any kind of "protection"
to keep you out of things or publish the information on how-to do
this... should you live in the USA.

If you want more info, I'll cut and paste the relevant parts of the
DMCA. Come on, with the way Lexmark sued "replacement cartridge"
manufactures because the toner cartridge uses "electronic measures" to
communicate to the printer... Geez, is it *so* hard to understand this
perverseness things can come to?

Again, if more info is needed, I'll be happy to Cut'n'Paste the relevant
parts.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net