Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 02:08, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 06:17:44PM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
> > It would be a lot less stable and secure if debian started
> > publishing exploits.  The announcement explains quite clearly what
> > happened and how to protect your system.
>
> Why does BugTraq do it?  Because it forces quick action.
>
> Granted, this isn't a problem for a self-motivated project like
> Debian.  However, Debian is looked up to quite a bit in the software
> community, so shouldn't Debian be setting the example here?

BugTraq does delay disclosure under threat from DMCA for Proprietary
systems (Microsoft seems to stand out here), there have even been
comments from them on it. So get a life Paul... a small delay is better
than adding exposure to many systems that have diligent people trying to
keep up with those exploits.

No I am not talking about those that haven't patched RedHat 6.2 since
the original install from the CD. I am talking about people like me,
that take a couple of days to schedule a critical system reboot (when it
is a Kernel issue like this one)... we can't just Flip the switch... we
could(will) be sued or back-billed for down-time on some of these
systems.

Think in real-life terms not personal preferences. Sure I'd like to
know, but right this second maybe not.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net