Re: HOWTO configure Debian Woody

Hi,

I did it - got X and Ethernet working.

As best I can tell (because I copy and pasted my steps here) this is how:

in 'man base-config' I read,

       /root/dbootstrap_settings, if it exists, is sources by  base-config
       and  numerous environment variables set therein are used to control
       base-config's behavior. The mere presence of this  file,  which  is
       created  by  dbootstrap  during a fresh debian install, makes base-
       config do all the things it only does on a fresh install.

dbootstrap_settings is not there so I,

	# touch /root/dbootstrap_settings

so that base-config will do all the things it only does on a fresh install.

and,

	# base-config

and choose:

	- get files from http:// (ucberkely - it is one of the provided options)

<See my earlier thread today, 'Network interface card / Ethernet on IMB
motherboard', for how I got Ethernet working.>

	- display manager: gdm
	- manage /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config file with debconf
	- manage /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file with debconf
	- X server driver: vesa                 <--------
	- framebuffer device interface? Yes
	- XKB rule set to use: xfree86
	- keyboard: 104 key
	- keyboard layout: us
	- mouse port: /dev/psaux
	- mouse: PS/2
	- LCD device? Yes                       <---------
	- method for selecting your monitor characteristics: Medium
DAM, I selected the wrong one (Advanced) and you CANNOT go back without
starting all over :-(. Anyway, should work: chose settings that work for my
monitor.
	- use ASCII for Postgress
	- Delete previously download deb files: no

done!

	# reboot

SWEET - Gnome pops up nicely <:-) :-).

And Ethernet is working. I was *not* given a chance to set the Ethernet driver
kernel module above but hey, it was already up and running from the earlier
install.

Conclusion:

Having used SuSE for two years I have developed the mind-set required to
appreciate the Debian way.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can get Zope/CMF/Plone and Apache and Exim (or Postfix)
working okay....

The Debian Quice Reference Guide
http://qref.sourceforge.net/
has more config stuff

Sorry about the newbie Subject line. But there it is.

Roger :-)
	-