Re: Network interface card / Ethernet on IMB motherboard

I ran
# /usr/sbin/base-config
but this seems to skip the Ethernet config process of the initial install in
which I hoped to set the Ethernet kernel module.

(1) So
I tried rebooting from my install CD #1, to see if installer will let me
choose the Ethernet kernel module I need.
After rebooting from CD #1, I choose:
- Keyboard, language, time settings etc.
- Previously initialized swap and root partitions, instead of initializing
them all over again.
- Mount root.
- Install kernel and driver modules from CD instead of manually.
- Lilo is unable to install. Darn. I had installed Lilo onto Master Boot
Record last time no problem. This is a deal breaker now!

(2) Back to Bob's advice:

   man base-config

Hmm, /root/dbaseconfig_settings (I think that is what it was called but I am
typing from gray matter memmory. In anycase, the only file there.) is there
but base-config does NOT go through the initiall install steps. Harumph.

(3) I will try a clean install including reinstallation of everthing. Hope
THIS brings me to the 'install kernel modules' step..

AHa! That got me back into the 'install kernel modeles' step..

I now have reinstalled everything from the Woody CDs *and* with updates via UC
Berkely's http mirror.

Hurray! Ethernet now works.

(4) But.. I forgot to configure my monitor that time! And now X wont start.
(Gnome started up fine after previous install but I missed the monitor config
this last time.)

I will start a new thread for that: 'HOWTO configure Debian Woody'.

Thanks,

Roger :-)