Network interface card / Ethernet on IMB motherboard

Hi,

Debian (installed from the 7 Woody CDs which I downloaded and burned using my
SuSE system) does not recognize my onboard Ethernet interface. SuSE does.
Debian seems not to.

Is there hope of getting Debian to recognize my onboard Ethernet? Or should I
simply buy a $12.00 Ethernet card tomorrow and try that?

The mystery Ethernet is onboard my IBM eServer xSeries 200 server. This is an
entry level 1000MHz Pentium III server from a few years back. Never had any
trouble with the onboard Ethernet in it before.

SuSE 8.1 and SuSE 9 both install and automaticall detect the onboard Ethernet.

I chose kernel 2.4.18 during my Woody installation.

Is there something obvious I can try to see if I can get my new (Woody) Debian
installation to recognize it?

For example, how do I configure an Ethernet card on a Debian system?

I tried editing /etc/network/interfaces and added:

   auto /dev/eth0
   iface /dev/eth0 init dhcp

Then command

   # ifup -a
   ifup: interface lo already configured
   /dev/eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: no such device

But frankly I have no idea what I am doing. Please tell me what to do.

My network is managed by my DSL router with DHCP.

Thanks!

Roger :-)