Re: How to post to linux.debian.user

Thanks for the suggestions. My ISP doesn't carry the gmane newsgroups, and I can't figure out how to make my newsreader subscribe to more than one news server. So I'll just use the mailing list for the few messages I need to send.

-- Dave

P.S. The requirement to use a real email address in this public mailing list is a big problem. I was recently flooded by 3000 spams over a three day period, essentially blocking my access to email on that address, disrupting my communication with students, etc. I believe this address got on the "starting list" for the swen spam, because I used it in posting to a newsgroup. After that, I set my newsreader's return address to shuvit@127.0.0.1

Dr. MacQuigg wrote:
> I've tried several new posts and replies to existing posts, and they
> never appear in the newsgroup.  My ISP has no explanation.  I assume
> this is something to do with a connection between this mailing list and
> the newsgroup.  Are we supposed to use email only, or can we work with
> our normal newsreader?
>
> -- Dave

Hi,

Note that linux.debian.user is a read-only group. Messages sent to the
debian-user mailing list show up here as well, but it cannot take messages.

gmane.linux.debian.user is read and write. But first you need to post a
message to that newsgroup with a valid email address. You will be sent
an email to which you have to reply. Only after can you post messages on
gmane.linux.debian.user. This is explained on gmane website (I think in
Posting section). To test your postings you can use gmane.test

And the pre-requisite is that you must have subscribed to the
debian-user mailing list (I think with the same email address that you
use when you post to gmane newsgroups).

HTH,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the
correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)