Re: How to post to linux.debian.user

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003, at 17:53 -0700, Dr. MacQuigg wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions.  My ISP doesn't carry the gmane
> newsgroups, and I can't figure out how to make my newsreader subscribe
> to more than one news server.  So I'll just use the mailing list for
> the few messages I need to send.

http://www.gmane.org

It's not a part of the USENET; it's a bidirectional mail-to-news
gateway. You can use their free service to read *and* post to a variety
of mailing lists using netnews.

> P.S.  The requirement to use a real email address in this public
> mailing list is a big problem.  I was recently flooded by 3000 spams
> over a three day period, essentially blocking my access to email on
> that address, disrupting my communication with students, etc.  I
> believe this address got on the "starting list" for the swen spam,
> because I used it in posting to a newsgroup.  After that, I set my
> newsreader's return address to shuvit@127.0.0.1

It's not just this mailing-list, it's all mail traffic in general. It's
okay to munge on the USENET, but that's not the case in standard email.
In fact, because this list is archived in a variety of places, it has
been noted that a lot of posters here were hit hard by the Swen.W32
propagation. I suggest you either filter your mail or use a different
email adderss than your primary one.

I, myself, use virus filters for procmail which work excellently. :)

--
scott c. linnenbringer	  |   sl@panix.com
http://www.panix.com/~sl  |  sl@moslug.org