Re: [DSA-403-1] Kernel update?

Op wo 03-12-2003, om 01:18 schreef Harshwardhan Nagaonkar:
> So, does this mean that I can compile my kernel without initrd, and it
> will still not break on debian?

Yes indeed. But make sure that if the initrd was using modules that were
needed to get the system going, for instance lvm support, you will have
to use a kernel with initrd support. Most of the times though, you can
compile the modules in the kernel so you won't need the initrd.

> I understand that this will involve editing /etc/lilo.conf and getting
> rid of the initrd line. Any other gotchas that I should know about?

Indeed, just remove the line. Just keep a working kernel on your system
and make sure it's still specified in your lilo. That way, if your new
kernel doesn't boot, you can easily boot your system again with the old
kernel that you know will work.
Keeps down the stress factor :)

Regards,
Benedict