Re: [DSA-403-1] Kernel update?

And thus we see that Harshwardhan Nagaonkar said, :
And thus we see that Bob Proulx said, :
Bill Moseley wrote:
<snip>
If you cannot wait then you would need to compile the 2.4.23 kernel
yourself.  That was released only three days ago and has not
<snip>
I'm trying to take this route of compiling the vanilla kernel myself. I've compiled the kernel many times before for different purposes. I've been able to accomplish this using "make-kpkg"; it is a great and infinitely helpful tool.
<snip>
My question is:
1) Where is this cramfs initrd patch available for download?

I've googled for it, but only seemingly relevant is a thread that has

Ok, I've done some more Manual-reading (I should probably have done this before shooting off the email.) Here is what I've found from kernel documentation in the kernel-source package (/usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.x/debian.readme.gz).

NOTE about using initial ram disk images (initrd).  Recent official
 kitchen sink kernel image packages tend to use this, in order to
 accomodate as wide a vareity of root file system types as humanly
 possible without building them all into the kernel. In order to use
 these images, you need to instruct you boot loader that this is a
 kernel image using intrd, and tell the boot loader where to find the
 initrd image.  Unfortunately, you can't just substitute a non initrd
 image afterwards without changing the boot loader instructions.
 Additionally, the mkinitrd program in Debian creatre a cramfs initrd,
 and you need an additional cramfs initrd patch in the kernel to be
 able to load the initrd. This patch is shipped with official debian
 kernel sources. So, you must apply the patch, or configure mkintrd to
 use another file system. like ext2. So, if your boot loader
 configuration expects to see an initrd image, add --initrd to the
 above invocation, like so:

and also

Phase TWO: Create a portable kernel image .deb file
 3% make-kpkg clean
 4% $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
<snip>
   % $Get_Root make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
      Personally, I prefer non initrd images for my personal machines,
      since then adding third party modules to the machine has fewere
      gotchas

So, does this mean that I can compile my kernel without initrd, and it will still not break on debian? I understand that this will involve editing /etc/lilo.conf and getting rid of the initrd line. Any other gotchas that I should know about?

Thanks for all the help,
--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop