Re: Help with installation

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:44:00 -0500, Robert Benjamin wrote:

>     I have Red Hat 9.0 installed on a 30 gig HD and want to onstall
> Debian 3.0r1 over it, or remove Red Hat. I have iso images 1 and 2 on CD
> roms and the drive is bootable. Using the iso 1, I get stuck at the part
> where it asks the server:/path for the root filesystem. I'm a Linux
> newbie and I guess I don't know what this is, or what to enter there.
> Things were going fine to that point. This is a i386 system. The HD is
> 30 gig and has ONLY Red Hat 9.0 on it.
>     Can you help me install Debian or get me past the point where I
> don't understand what it asks. I have no problem removing Red Hat, if I
> knew how to do that. This is a learning experience for me, and there are
> no files that need to back up. I can start from scratch.
>     Thanks for the help.   benjie1@cox.net

First thing, remove Red Hat and start from scratch.  Or set up a separate
debian installation on different partitions.  In any case, start clean.

JMO, of course

--

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting
to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we
know we know.  We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we
know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown
unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know."

- Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defense, Winner of British Plain
  English Campaign's 2003 "Foot in Mouth" award.