Re: Having Trouble with e100.o network card driver

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:45:37 -0600
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Jacob S. wrote:
<snip>
> > And since you mention you're using kernel 2.2.19, it's an easy
> > "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18" to upgrade to the 2.4.18
> > kernel with a newer ee100 driver.
> >
> > (Note: You may need to do an "apt-get update" first to grab the
> > latest list of packages from debian, if you haven't done that since
> > the install.)
>
> Er, except to download the kernel via the network, his network card
> needs to work.  Doh!

He doesn't mention if he's using a modem or a network card to access
the internet, but he does mention downloading the e100 source from Intel
and compiling it on his machine, so I made the assumption he could get
to the internet for a kernel package as well.

> Still, I concur with Jacob; a newer kernel might solve your problem.
> You might use the Windows side (or Knoppix), to get the newer kernel.
>
> Also, I believe you want to "modprobe e100" instead of "modprobe
> e100.O"; I'm not sure it matters, but I sortta kindda in a way think
> it does.

Yes, it does make a difference. You want to modprobe <module_name>, not
<module_name>.o

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Slight disorientation after prolonged system uptime is normal for new
Linux users. Please do not adjust your browser.