Re: odd: gv *very* slow while view ps file from dvips

Jonathan Dowland wrote:
On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 12:03:43AM -0500, H. S. wrote:

Hi,

I am compiling a latex source file(just 2 page resume) in Debian (Unstable) and when I try to magnify a certian area in the resulting ps file the new magnified widow of gv takes ages to come up. This behavior was not so in Redhat. In other words, same LaTeX file, same dvips command, but magnification in gv is faster in Redhat and very slow in Debian.

Since I am new to Debian, I may have missed some setting(s). Tips? Suggestions?

What version of gv do you use in redhat- is there a difference? Do you
have the same problem with any other PS files? Would you be willing to
share your resume with others to see if the problem can be reproduced?
Do you have the same problem using another postscript viewer (e.g. ggv)?
What about viewing the dvi prior to conversion (xdvi, advi)? Does
antialiasing on/off make a difference?

I apologize for the lack of information. It had been quite long since I was sitting at the computer and it was past midnight ..... :)

In Debian:

gv version: gv  3.5.8-30.2  A PostScript and PDF viewer for X using 3d A

Problem with other ps files? Yes, I noticed that after posting my last message. The redering is quite slow, and similar ps files did render faster in Redhat.

With other viewers: with kghostview, it seemed to render akay, no complaints.

dvi file: no complaints with xdvi.

Specifically: the problem is most pronounced when I magnifiy a region of the ps file in gv (pressing the middle mouse button and dragging it to specify the bbox and then selecting the magnification). I just noticed that when anti-aliasing is OFF the problem goes away. When anti-aliasing is ON, the new gv window showing the magnified region takes very long to render and eventually when it does it also pops up a "ghostscirpt message" box (the one that opens on some ghostscript error) with nothing in it -- no message.

In Redhat: not sure exactly which version I have (need to boot into that to see that). But I have Fedora, so it is the most recent that they offer.

thanks,
->HS
--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)