Re: passwordless ssh-login

* Joerg Johannes (joerg_johannes@web.de) [031201 09:52]:
> Hi everybody
>
> Is it possible to use different login names on different machines in
> combination with passwordless ssh logins? My situation is the following:

Yes, the key setup is completely independent of the username.  If it's
not working on a particular server, it could be that the server is
configured to disallow key-based authentication, or is just using an
incompatible ssh daemon.

On a sort of tangent, you can use your ~/.ssh/options to save yourself
typing if you're often logging in to multiple machines with different
usernames on each by using "nicknames" for each remote account.  For
example, you can set up something like this:

Host chipotle
  HostName chipotle.longhostname.longdomainname.edu
  User jorg

Host pimiento
  HostName pimiento.longhostname.longdomainname.edu
  User joerg

and then "ssh chipotle" or "ssh pimiento" will do the obvious thing.
This way, you can also specify different options such as compression or
no, or even to connect on different ports, which can be very useful for
saving typing when working around draconian firewalls.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/