Re: Create d-user-woody, d-user-sarge maillists, deactivate d-user

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hereon" <hereon1@fastmail.us>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 04:28
Subject: RFC: Create d-user-woody, d-user-sarge maillists, deactivate d-user

> Request For Comment on:
>   Enhancing the Debian mailing lists by:
>   Creating debian-user-woody and debian-user-sarge mailing lists,
>   and deactivating debian-user.

> 1) The Debian user community is substantially suboptimally served
>    with the existence of the current debian-user list.
>
> 2) The debian-user list is _unnecessarily_ overtrafficked,
>    [due to it being the most likely place to ask user questions, and find
>    answers, regarding both Stable(Woody), and
>    Testing/Unstable(Sarge/Sid)]
>    which causes several problems for the Debian community:
>    a) Wasted mental effort discerning which version a message
>       pertains to,
>    b) Wasted mental effort searching for information on either
>       Woody or Sarge/Sid in the (currently) combined list.
>
> 3) The Debian community would be much better served
>    a) by the creation now of two new mailing lists, called:
>      1) debian-user-woody, or possibly debian-user-stable,
>         or possibly debian-user-3
>      2) debian-user-sarge, or possibly debian-user-sid,
>           or possibly debian-user-sargesid,
>         or debian-user-testing, or possibly debian-user-unstable,
>           or possibly debian-user-testingunstable,
>           or possibly debian-user-4,
>    b) and, perhaps, by deactivating debian-user.
>
> 4) This message is requesting:
>    1) Comment regarding specific suggestions of how the situation
>       could be inproved through the creation of 1 or more additional
>       lists to augment or replace debian-user,
>    2) "Seconds" (to the motion) for the request of these changes.
>
> 5) After a comment period (perhaps one week), I will review &
>    analyze the comments.  I will then either:
>    a) Submit a new RFC email, to solicit further clarifications &
>       additions, or
>    b) Submit a wishlist bug to request creation of the new lists, as per:
>
> 6) Once a wishlist bug for new list creation has been registered with
>    the Debian bug tracking system, it would be very helpful if
>       "several other people interested in the new list
>        would send a mail to the bug, in order to record their interest"

> Debian stable releases have been approximately 1-2 years apart.  During
> this period of time, many Debian users make active use of the
> testing/unstable system.
>
> Currently, user questions about testing/unstable are likely to be asked
> in the debian-user list.
>
> But, that is definitely not the best way that things could be.
>
> By asking T/U questions in the -user forum, this is putting
> communications on two logically separable topics (stable, and
> testing/unstable) into one channel/forum.  This causes several problems:
>
> 1) The repeated need for QUESTION ASKERS to specify which of the two
> versions their question refers to.
>
> 2) The repeated need for READERS to be constantly alert as to which of
> the two versions each message is referring to.
>
> 3) The difficluty of being unable to easily FIND INFORMATION in the list
> archives relevant to a topic on which you want some information/data.
> [...]
Sounds like a workable idea,  this list has too much traffic.  I would
suggest that consideration be given to a "newbie" list as well as a "stable"
and "unstable".  This would give a way for new people to upgrade as
experience allows.  For myself there is too much I just dont understang on
this list.  Not the fault of the list.
Hoyt