Re: Modules/Ethernet setup

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 21:32, Paul M Foster wrote:
> When I was installing Deb 3.0r1 on a new machine, I couldn't find what I
> thought was the right module/driver for the ethernet card, so I just
> skipped it. Later I found the right driver. I can get the card up and
> working. Manually, I can do it this way:
>
> modprobe natsemi
> ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.10.2
> route add default gw 192.168.10.20
>
> However, I don't know how to integrate this with the Debian
> /etc/modules/* and /etc/modules.conf. Can anyone tell me what files to
> create and with what parameters?

Two things to do:

(1) Load the module. You can simply add it to /etc/modules. The module
gets loaded at system boot time then. The other way is to add the line

---snip---
alias eth0 natsemi
---snap----

to /etc/modules.conf. Then, the module will get loaded, whenever eth0 is
accessed. *But*, as a good debian admin you should *never* edit this
file by hand. Look at update-modules(5) for information how to change
you modules configuration database.

(2) Configure the network device. You have to add the device
configuration to the file /etc/network/interfaces. See interfaces(5) how
to do that.

Hope that helps.

-alf