Re: Modules/Ethernet setup

Hello

Paul M Foster (<paulf@quillandmouse.com>) wrote:

> When I was installing Deb 3.0r1 on a new machine, I couldn't find what
> I thought was the right module/driver for the ethernet card, so I just
> skipped it. Later I found the right driver. I can get the card up and
> working. Manually, I can do it this way:
>
> modprobe natsemi
> ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.10.2
> route add default gw 192.168.10.20
>
> However, I don't know how to integrate this with the Debian
> /etc/modules/* and /etc/modules.conf. Can anyone tell me what files to
> create and with what parameters?

To load the driver module automatically, add

natsemi

to /etc/modules, manually or using modconf or

alias eth0 natsemi

to /etc/modutils/aliases or a new file in /etc/modutils and run
update-modules. To configure the interface, edit
/etc/network/interfaces (man interfaces) or install etherconf (you can
run dpkg-reconfigure etherconf later to change the configuration).

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen