Unable to reach greeter screen

I had to reinstall libernet 2.7 due to apg-get refusing to install, remove,
or ignore a program.  After reinstall things looked good and I started to
rebuild.  I did a update and upgrade which went well.  Then I went to KDE
and started pkg manager and did 2 or 3 sessions of installing various
programs, which also went well.  Then apitude falted on a program while
installing after downloading and hung, would not continue. I exited and
later returned and did a apt-get update && apt-get install and three
different programs were downloaded and none were installed.  Then I
discovered that I could not enter gnome or KDE because startx put me into
icewm instead of the greeter. I discovered that I no longer had gdm, kdm or
xdm.  Therefore I downloaded gdm and still could now get into gdm.  Then I
edited gdm config file and tryed again. No luck.  I would like to get back
to the greeter so I can select KDE or Gnome . How?
Regards;
Hoyt