Copying Debian Installation - Kernel won't boot

Ok, I've read the manuals I can find and tried a bunch of different
options, but I still seem to be failing. I have a successful Knoppix
install on a hard drive which I then apt-get upgraded to the latest
Testing / Unstable packages using apt-pinning (as of about 2 weeks ago).
So, it's time to do a Linux installation on another computer on the
network, so I thought it'd be nice to skip the update process after
installing Knoppix and just copy the installation from the other
computer.

So, I tar'ed the files off the Knoppix computer, onto the "file server"
on the network. Then I wiped out the hard drive on the computer waiting
for a Linux installation, partitioned it, ran mke2fs, tune2fs -j, etc.
Booting off a Knoppix cd, I copied everything onto the new computer,
edited /etc/fstab and /etc/modules to reflect the different hardware and
then ran "lilo -C <new_root>/etc/lilo.conf -r path/to/new_root". So far
everything seemed to be going smoothly.

However, after rebooting to try the new installation, I get the lilo
prompt where I can successfully choose from four kernels - 3 are ones I
compiled on the machine installed from Knoppix cd, 1 is the kernel that
came on the Knoppix cd during installation. Whenever I try one of the 3
custom compiled kernels, it makes it to the line "Uncompressing Linux...
Ok, booting the kernel" and then freezes. If I try the kernel from the
Knoppix installation, I can see it detect the hard drives and USB ports,
but then it hangs with a kernel panic, saying "no init found."

Does anyone see what I'm missing or have any suggestions for a way to
get this machine running?

TIA,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Linux: transforms your microcomputer in a workstation.
Windows NT: transforms your workstation in a microcomputer.