Re: Installing Smarty through apt-get

Hello Francisco!

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:17:09PM -0700, Francisco Castellon wrote:
I wanting to install the smarty on my system, however I ran a "apt-cache
search smarty" and I found nothing. However, I googled and found some
sites that have the package including:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/smarty/

would it just be a matter of me adding the previous site to my sources
file, and I will be able to install it? or is there something else I
have to do? if there is a better way of doing this, I appreciatte the
heads up, I would really like to use apt though since it is pretty
simple to install packages that way. thanx!

Since your apt-cache search didn't bring up any results I guess either
your sources.list is not set up sufficiently or you are simply running
Woody. Hm, or even both...

In the former case add something like
|deb http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ <yourflavorhere> main
to your /etc/apt/source.list.

In the latter case you have two choices: As smarty hasn't been (and
won't ever be) released for Woody you can either add a backport line
to your sources.list
|deb http://debian.jones.dk woody misc
or use the version from testing/unstable from the archive you've found
and install it directly using dpkg, according to its dependencies it
should install just fine as long as you have apache (v1!) and php4
installed.

HTH,
Flo