Re: No NIC and No X - WTF Does It Take?

Hello

Scarletdown (<scarletdown@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> Anyway, the video setup is an S3Virge (86C325) with 4MB RAM, and my
> monitor is a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 17se (HZ-Freq: 31.5-82 /
> Vt-Freq: 50-150)
>
> After running XF86Config, and making the correct settings, I run
> startx, and this is the crappe that I get...
>
> (WW) S3VIRGE: No matching device section for instance (Bus
> ID:0:17:0)
>
> (EE) No devices detected

Did you try to use the XFree configuration file from Knoppix? Btw, the
Bus ID looks strange. Did you set it manually? What does lspci say
about your card?

You can also configure your X-server with debconf:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

> And then there's the NIC. During bootup, I see a message scroll
> by that indicated that the NIC was detected (It's a 3c905b Fast
> EtherLink PCI/XL). But after I log in, ifconfig does not show any
> signs that the card exists at all. When I installed Debian, I
> didn't see any option for any type of 3c90x NIC, though there were
> plenty of other 3COM NICs listed. Again, this worked fine with
> RedHat, SuSE, and Knoppix. So why won't it work with Debian?

Perhaps you couldn't select the driver in modconf because it is built
into your kernel. What does /etc/network/interfaces say about your
card? Maybe you want to install the etherconf package. If you want to
rerun it's configuration dialog later, use

dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--