Re: No NIC and No X - WTF Does It Take?

On 29 Nov 2003 at 0:05, Andreas Janssen wrote:

> Did you try to use the XFree configuration file from Knoppix? Btw, the
> Bus ID looks strange. Did you set it manually? What does lspci say
> about your card?
>
> You can also configure your X-server with debconf:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> > And then there's the NIC. During bootup, I see a message scroll
> > by that indicated that the NIC was detected (It's a 3c905b Fast
> > EtherLink PCI/XL). But after I log in, ifconfig does not show any
> > signs that the card exists at all. When I installed Debian, I
> > didn't see any option for any type of 3c90x NIC, though there were
> > plenty of other 3COM NICs listed. Again, this worked fine with
> > RedHat, SuSE, and Knoppix. So why won't it work with Debian?
>
> Perhaps you couldn't select the driver in modconf because it is built
> into your kernel. What does /etc/network/interfaces say about your
> card? Maybe you want to install the etherconf package. If you want to
> rerun it's configuration dialog later, use
>
> dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

Here's s hot of what the /etc/network/interfaces file contains, as well as the results of lspci

http://webpages.charter.net/scarletdown/Misc/Screen-0.JPG

The second video adapter on the list is the one I am trying to use.  The first on on the list is the on-board video, which is apparently impossible to fully disable (I asked on the Packard Bell newsgroup, since this is a PB Multimedia C115, but all I got there was silence.)

Anyway, I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and plugged in all the appropriate values, including the PCI Bus ID as per what lspci showed for the S3Virge.  Still no luck.

http://webpages.charter.net/scarletdown/Misc/Screen-1.JPG

Judging by the error message, it looks like the system pretty much ignored the info I plugged in (specifically the Bus ID for the video card.)  And why did it try to use the onboard video as well, when I didn't set anything for that anyway?

And lastly, dpkg-reconfigure etherconf returned the error...
etherconf is not fully installed.

But, it looks like I will need to start from scratch anyway.  Before I powered back down, I also tried the trick to convert from ext2 to ext3.  Now my /boot partition is completely empty, and trying startx just gives a Command Not Found error.  And I also noticed that there were several errors during bootup saying something to the effect of module ext3 not found.

--Alt-Boundary-9000.32335468--

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now