No NIC and No X - WTF Does It Take?

Okay, I just made another unsuccessful attempt to get an XF86 and Ethernet-enabled Debian system running.  The NIC and the video card are both pretty common, so I _thought_ that they would be supported. Looks like I was wrong yet again.

Anyway, the video setup is an S3Virge (86C325) with 4MB RAM, and my monitor is a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 17se (HZ-Freq:  31.5-82 / Vt- Freq:  50-150)

After running XF86Config, and making the correct settings, I run startx, and this is the crappe that I get...

(WW) S3VIRGE:  No matching device section for instance (Bus ID:0:17:0)

(EE) No devices detected

Fatal Server Error
no screens found

I checked /etc/X11/XF86Config and as far as I could tell, everything looked correct.  This very same system has recently been used with RedHat 7.2 as well as SuSE 7.0 and Knoppix. and I had no problems getting the X-Server going and botting up to the GNOME desktop.  So why isn't it working now?

And then there's the NIC.  During bootup, I see a message scroll by that indicated that the NIC was detected (It's a 3c905b Fast EtherLink PCI/XL).  But after I log in, ifconfig does not show any signs that the card exists at all.  When I installed Debian, I didn't see any option for any type of 3c90x NIC, though there were plenty of other 3COM NICs listed.  Again, this worked fine with RedHat, SuSE, and Knoppix.  So why won't it work with Debian?

--Alt-Boundary-5635.18716839--

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now