Xterm only -- umlauts, accents in (x)emacs

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 01:35:25PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I occasionally write in french and german and just recently noticed
> that umlauted and accented characters which now work fine in bash,
> openoffice, and mozilla, do not work in emacs or xemacs.

just a note -- accents & umlauts display just fine, and typingthem
also seems to work fine when xemacs is run without the -nw switch --
that is, when it opens up its own x-based 'frame' or window.  I can
also type them from the console.  But in an xterm, emacs seems to
interpret the characters as control- or meta-keystrokes of some kind.

Unfortunately I often run emacs over ssh, and xterm is definitely my
preferred mode.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

matt