Re: location of checksum file when using Aide

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:18:43PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about using AID and where the checksum file is
> located -- and how it's actually used in Debian systems.
>
> The debian installation of AIDE (Advanced intrusion detection
> environment) places the checksum file in /var/lib/aide/.  Is there any
> use in running AIDE if the checksum file is writable?  Seems like it
> should be on a non-writable media.
>
> Second, what media do people normally use?  I have machines that only
> have a CD ROM.  Do I need to burn a CDR with the database and always
> keep it mounted?
>
> The docs say that the aide binary and config file should also be on
> non-writable media.  Is that common practice, too?  And if so, then I
> suppose the cron.daily/aide file would need to be updated to point to
> the /cdrom for the config file.
>
> Or do people use AIDE with the standard install (database in
> /var/lib/aide/) and hope for the best?

Assuming AIDE is the same general idea as integrit:

One solution is, indeed, to burn the md5 checksum file to a CDR and make
sure you leave it in and mounted overnight (or whenever the AIDE cron
job runs).

Or, if you have NFS or samba, and a LAN... and another machine on the
LAN under your control... you could put the checksum file in a read-only
share on another machine.

Another solution is to set the file "immutable" which means it can't be
edited except by rebooting into single-user mode. You might also want to
set the AIDE binary immutable, too... for even better paranoia. And for
even _more_ paranoia, make sure it's statically compiled so it can't be
compromised by an attacker screwing with libs...

	Cheers!
--