location of checksum file when using Aide

I'm a bit confused about using AID and where the checksum file is
located -- and how it's actually used in Debian systems.

The debian installation of AIDE (Advanced intrusion detection
environment) places the checksum file in /var/lib/aide/.  Is there any
use in running AIDE if the checksum file is writable?  Seems like it
should be on a non-writable media.

Second, what media do people normally use?  I have machines that only
have a CD ROM.  Do I need to burn a CDR with the database and always
keep it mounted?

The docs say that the aide binary and config file should also be on
non-writable media.  Is that common practice, too?  And if so, then I
suppose the cron.daily/aide file would need to be updated to point to
the /cdrom for the config file.

Or do people use AIDE with the standard install (database in
/var/lib/aide/) and hope for the best?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org