Re: recommended Virus Scanner?

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 at 02:27 GMT, Alvin Oga penned:
- best way is to disallow all mime attachements.. even windoze
users...  but guess the ceo and managers like to pass excel
attachments to each other which they can do locally thru their local
mail server ..

The lead on my latest project insists that we use links rather than
attaching files.  The links are generally windows file shares ... but
anyway, if you can get higher-levels to sign on to this kind of policy,
it's a good thing, imo.  How many times do you receive an emailed
attachment that you never bother to open?  How many times do you then go
and save it just in case?  How many times do people send a revision
attachment within the next day?  Lots of bandwidth and disk space to be
saved =)

Now if only I could convince the secretary and various others not to
send their Outlook emails with seasonal backgrounds (animated, no less!)

	but the outside world does not need to send/receive attachments ?? (
	ftp, web is better suited for sending/receiving files ... only those
	that really want it will go to the url

bingo.

I'll admit that the likelihood of getting buy-in from the highest-level
muckety-mucks on a no-attachments policy is pretty slim ... and
actually, it could be a problem if customers want to send attachments
(though I guess you could specify exempted senders) ...

My organization has a corporate policy regarding this: no backgrounds, no pics, no unneccessary decoration. For the most part, people in IT follow the rules, but the user community and in particular the secretaries seem to have difficulty with the rules. The problem is that our business involves mice, magic and castles (no prizes for guessing), so the availability of cute high-bandwidth decorations makes, I guess, the temptation irresistible to some.

It would be an improvement if folks would at least zip the huge powerpoint, excel and word attachments. But the new common desktop (WinXP) does not make it very obvious to some on how to do that, as simple file compression is hidden behind the "compressed folder" metaphor.

--

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never
kept but one: they promised to take our land, and they took it."

- Chief Red Cloud (Mahpiua Luta) of the Oglala Sioux