Re: Messup with apt-get dselect and sid

UnKnown <rak@burst.fcien.edu.uy> writes:

> Hi people, got a little problem, I inherit a computer on my shob its a
> testing machine so it originally had sid installed upgraded from
> woody.

...huh?  Which one is it?  If it's "woody upgraded to sid" it's
probably an unstable machine, not testing.

> The problem is that im not the only admin and the other one only use
> apt-get to install and remove packages, I, on the other hand, only
> use dselect to install and remove, and apt-get to update and
> upgrade.

Okay; those should work together fine.

> The problem is that when ever I use dselect to install something a
> bunch of thing drop to be installed which I didnt ask for.

What sort of things are they?  Historically, dselect has treated
package 'Recommends:' as though they were strong dependencies.  I
think this is still the case, but now it's possible to de-select the
extra packages without dselect complaining.

You might look at aptitude instead; its interface is somewhat similar
to dselect's, but things like automatic installation of suggested and
recommended packages are configurable.

> I belived that there was no problem using both apt-get and dselect,
> and that dselect would respect whatever apt-get would do, and with
> apt-get u wouldn't mess the things when u install a package.

apt-get, aptitude, and dselect are all fine ways to install packages.
apt-get is generally held to have several deficiencies as a
general-purpose package management tool: you need to know the name of
a specific package to install it, it's difficult to adjust its
conflict resolution, and it completely ignores suggests and recommends
in the package listing.

	-- Abra Mitchell