KDE guillotines? (was Re: GNOME hangs.)

on Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 10:07:37PM -0500, Titus Barik (barik@ieee.org) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So having a real-time conversation would probably be best at this point,
> but IRC has thus far been entirely useless. Hopefully one of you can
> help me.
>
> I'm starting to load the Gnome Desktop Environment in combination with
> either Sawfish or Metacity, but it hangs on startup (via startx). This
> is annoying.

Look at:

   ~/.xsession-errors
   /var/log/XFree86.0.log

...or switch to console, shut down your display manager, switch to
console, and start a bare X session, start an xterm on it, and run your
desktop from that:

    $ sudo /etc/init.d/?dm stop  # switch back to this console if necessary
    $ X :0 &                     # switch back to this console if necessary
    $ xterm -display :0 &

...now switch to your X console <alt><F7>

...and start your X desktop in console.  Watch messages.

> Here's the step by step:
>
> chronos:/home/barik# update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>
> There are 6 alternatives which provide `x-window-manager'.
>
>   Selection    Alternative
>       1        /usr/bin/X11/amiwm
>       2        /usr/X11R6/bin/twm
>       3        /usr/bin/afterstep
>       4        /usr/bin/fluxbox
>  +    5        /usr/bin/sawfish
> *     6        /usr/bin/metacity
>
> Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:
>
> Alright, Metacity is the default.
>
> As far as I know, all the packages that I need are installed.
>
> Next:
>
> I run startx as a normal user.
>
> The Gnome Desktop Splash Screen loads; the first icon loads
> successfully, and then the second icon, 'Window Manager', attempts to
> load and then promptly crashes, leaving a beautiful blue gradient
> screen in place of a useful window manager.
>
> .xsession-errors contains the following:
> _IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
> SESSION_MANAGER=local/chronos:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1740
> Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
> Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

Check permissions of /tmp.  Should match:

    drwxrwxrwt   13 root     root         1208 2003-11-28 04:54 /tmp

> I don't have a default ~/.xinit or ~/.xsession or anything of that
> nature. What's going on? Where can I look to further diagnose this
> problem? Other logs?

See above.  Google your error messages.

> Curiously, if I set the default window manager to fluxbox, and run
> startx again, everything loads fine.

Sounds like a window manager problem.  Might check your config files and
possibly move them to a backup directory, forcing yourself to start from
a blank slate.  Or create a test user account.

> The other interesting tidbit can be found under ~/.gnome2 which has:
>
> -rw-------    1 barik    barik           2 2003-11-26 21:30
> .gnome-smproxy-1VDQeN
> -rw-------    1 barik    barik           2 2003-11-26 21:53
> .gnome-smproxy-8aQJdd