GNOME hangs.

Hi all,

So having a real-time conversation would probably be best at this point,
but IRC has thus far been entirely useless. Hopefully one of you can
help me.

I'm starting to load the Gnome Desktop Environment in combination with
either Sawfish or Metacity, but it hangs on startup (via startx). This
is annoying.

Here's the step by step:

chronos:/home/barik# update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

There are 6 alternatives which provide `x-window-manager'.

  Selection    Alternative
      1        /usr/bin/X11/amiwm
      2        /usr/X11R6/bin/twm
      3        /usr/bin/afterstep
      4        /usr/bin/fluxbox
 +    5        /usr/bin/sawfish
*     6        /usr/bin/metacity

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

Alright, Metacity is the default.

As far as I know, all the packages that I need are installed.

Next:

I run startx as a normal user.

The Gnome Desktop Splash Screen loads; the first icon loads
successfully, and then the second icon, 'Window Manager', attempts to
load and then promptly crashes, leaving a beautiful blue gradient
screen in place of a useful window manager.

.xsession-errors contains the following:
_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
SESSION_MANAGER=local/chronos:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1740
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

I don't have a default ~/.xinit or ~/.xsession or anything of that
nature. What's going on? Where can I look to further diagnose this
problem? Other logs?

Curiously, if I set the default window manager to fluxbox, and run
startx again, everything loads fine. The other interesting tidbit can be
found under ~/.gnome2 which has:

-rw-------    1 barik    barik           2 2003-11-26 21:30
.gnome-smproxy-1VDQeN
-rw-------    1 barik    barik           2 2003-11-26 21:53
.gnome-smproxy-8aQJdd

And many other smproxy entries. I hate my life.

Thanks in advance,

--
Titus Barik (barik@ieee.org)