Re: Experiment: Neophyte versus Windows XP & Debian Woody

on Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 03:27:55PM -0800, Erik Steffl (steffl@bigfoot.com) wrote:
> Edward Murrell wrote:

> >>The OpenOffice.org binary tarball defaults to /opt (at least it did
> >>in version 1.0)
> >

> >I've never understood the need for /opt/. Or more precisely, I've never
> >understood the need for /opt/ when you have /usr/local/, and in my
> >travels have yet to find any solid reasoning beyond what seems to be
> >that the first person to create /opt/ didn't know about /usr/local/.
> >
> >(I'm almost certainly wrong of course, but I still haven't been able to
> >find anything that tells me so with any decent authority.)
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/
>
> /opt : Add-on application software packages
> /usr/local : Local hierarchy
>
>   the way I understand it: if I install some non-debian package (from
> tarball etc.) it should go into /opt/package-version (or something like
> that)
>
>   the /usr/local is for my own (=admin) stuff, no software that I
> download someplace else should touch it (unless I ask it to).
>
>   I usually install extra software in /opt/package-version and use stow
> to create links in /usr/local, but I guess installing it somewhere under
> /usr/local works as well (I just don't think packages should default to
> that).

And you can in practice symlink the two in some way, if you want to keep
all your local installation(s) under a single tree:

    # mkdir /usr/local/opt
    # ln -s /usr/local/opt /opt

...which gives a subdirectory under /usr/local for opt.

Or:

    # ln /usr/local /opt

...which puts all your /opt installs in /usr/local.

Personally I prefer thet first.

Peace.

    SCO is the thief who puts a gun to his own head and says give me
    your money or I'll shoot.
    -- Bruce Perens  http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=56225&&cid=5456337