iptables and adsl modem at boot time

Hi,

Continuing my progress towards a nice stable working system with everything as I want it to be. Now I am tacking the dsl modem on/off at boot time and iptables script.

1) How do I set up the default iptables script that comes with Debian to a 'safe' mode. I want this so that if the dsl modem is turned ON at boot time, my system still remains secure for the short time before my iptables script takes effect. Which brings me to the next point. 2) Currently, I have this iptables firewall script that I manually start, as root, once I am logged in. In Fedora, I have put this script in /etc/init.d and it is executed at boot time (there also, the default iptables drops everything before bringing up ppp0 till my script resets the rules).

Any other suggestions on how to set up my own firewall script so that it takes effect *before* ppp0 is brough up are also apprecaited. BTW, the script does not rely on my IP address that ppp0 obtains at up-time. IN google, I have read suggestion which mainly say to put it in init.d and have a soft link in /etc/rcS.d (?) Can somebody attest to this?

thanks for yoru patience and help,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)