Re: is it possible to use newsgroups?

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:04:39 -0800 (PST), mighty sword wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to all this lists stuff. I have primarily
> used newsgroups readers till now. I have just
> subscribed to debian-user list from my linuxmail
> account, found that inconvenient and unsubscribed, and
> again subscribed from this yahoo account.
>
> So from this new email account, how do I reply to the
> messages that I had read in my linuxmail account?
>
> And even though I have subscribed to this list, can I
> instead use linux.debian.user or
> gmane.linux.debian.user to read and post messages? Is
> it me or is that the newsgroups and newsreaders are
> much more convenient and organized to read/post
> messages?
>

> ->HS

I agree with you.  I am using gmane.linux.debian.user. I am not subscribed
to the list - I save those messages that I want to keep and don't need to
download them all. You cannot post to the list from linux.debian.user - that
one recieves the list mail, but doesn't send it.  I think the best way would
be gmane, because then your message will find its way into the thread.  If
you send to the list from yahoo, you can duplicate the Subject, but it
doesn't end up threading properly.

Reading from the archives isn't bad either, but it is much easier to post
from the newsgroup.  When you read from the archives, you still have the
problem of bringing up an email client and duplicating the Subject and so
on.

Yeah, linuxmail is about as cumbersome as it gets.  Too bad.

Anita