Re: Theoretical APT question

on Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:36:26PM +0000, Ken Gilmour (ken@playersonly.com) wrote:
> Replying to the message sent by Karsten M. Self ?on Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:51:35 -0800, received at 15:32:59 on 21/11/2003. Karsten M. Self wrote:
> <snip
> >
> >Much of your objective could be attained via a reasonable partitioning
> >scheme. ?The existing Debian Policy specification of what files go where
> >already makes system backup and restoration trivial.
> >
> >Peace.
>
> I accomplished similar to this by simply using symlinks. For example,
> all of my websites and logs were in /var/www/html and that partition
> was getting full, so i added a new drive, gave it one large partition,
> moved everything onto it set a symlink called html and removed the old
> directory called html (not in that order)

Why not simply mount that new drive as /var/www/html?

Granted, if you wanted to provide additional storage from the new drive,
you could have.  But you can slice (partition) a disk as you want, and
mount these to any arbitrary directory within the system directory
tree.  /, /tmp, /usr, /var, /home, etc., are just conventions.  You
could mount to /usr/share/doc if you wanted to (I'd call you crazy, but
you could do it...).

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/