Re: installing new latex document type - bst file not found by documents

Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> I just installed the files for a new document type from cpan (latex8).
> I put them into /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/latex8 and ran texhash.

(/usr/local/share/texmf is probably a better pick; in this case, it's
easier to distinguish "locally installed" from "dpkg maintained", but
there's also a little more of a guarantee that various Debian packages
won't step on it.)

> The document type is recognized properly (the sty file is found by
> latex), but when trying to use the bibliography style, (latex8.bst)
> without a full path it is not found.

You need to use one of the directories reported by 'kpsepath bst', or
customize your texmf configuration.  /usr/local/share/texmf/bibtex/bst
is probably the best directory on the list.

	-- Abra Mitchell