Re: XDM can't shutdown

wyo@users.sourceforge.net (Otto Wyss) writes:

> I've installed XDM to get directly into X after starting but XDM
> doesn't allow for a shutdown. How can this be changed or are there
> better alternatives to start X without installing Gome or KDE?

X is X; using a single application (or display manager) from one "world"
doesn't require you to only use that world forever more.  If you don't
like xdm, use a different display manager.  My machines use gdm, but
beyond that I have one custom GNOME app, and for a while I was using
Konqueror as my Web browser; I don't use the gnome-session stuff at
all.  You should be able to straightforwardly configure gdm to start
KDE, or kwm to start GNOME.

	-- Abra Mitchell