Re: ATA Controller

Linux wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:10:09 +0000
John Peter <john.peter@netcabo.pt> wrote the words:

Linux wrote:

Greetings all.  I have a second IDE controller card installed in my
system and am trying to get it to work under debian.

Things that may be relevant:

hda - 15g HD
hdb - 20g HD
hdc - cdrom
hdd - cdburner
and on the second controller
hde - 30g HD

hde is reiserfs and is operational under my Mandrake 9.1 install, but
not seen by my Woody install.  It is a "fresh" install after all the
hardware was in place, not hardware added after the install.

Hardware specifics:
Promise Technology, Inc.
Ultra 100 TX2 ATA/100 Controller

The manual says to go to www.promise.com for Linux for "updates on
Linux support".  Well, I did so, but no found no love.

Also tried to Google, but didn't get any results that I understood or
could use.

So, any suggestions?  I can't help but think I simply need to use
modprobe and install a module or such.  I played around with that
idea, but didn't hit upon anything that worked.  Of course, since I'm
not sure what I'm looking for, I was guessing.

Ok, Adrien, here are some ideas :

First take a look at the relevant portio of my dmesg ( you can do the same by openning a terminal and writting dmesg ).Scroll through it and
see if you find a similar set of lines as mine ( I use the very same
card )

PDC20268: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:09.0
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:09.0
PDC20268: chipset revision 1
PDC20268: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
   ide2: BM-DMA at 0x9800-0x9807, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
   ide3: BM-DMA at 0x9808-0x980f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hda: IBM-DJNA-370910, ATA DISK drive
blk: queue c0379120, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
hdc: SONY CD-RW CRX1611, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: CD-ROM 48X/AKU, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hde: IC35L040AVER07-0, ATA DISK drive

As you see I use a disk in the motherboard controller hda and another
on the Promise controler - no problem whatsoever.

You can also use lspci as a command to see info on the pci devices and
there you will have a line like this :

00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc.
20268 (rev 01)

So, now what you have to verify is if your kernel suports this driver
- pdc20268 .

At the terminal issue the command uname -a and see wich kernel is in
use. Mine is like this :

Linux peterpan 2.4.22.281003 #1 Tue Oct 28 12:12:30 WET 2003 i686
GNU/Linux

wich means that I am using a 2.4.22 kernel ( the rest of the numbering
is the date of the build).
If you have a 2.4.18 or later you are OK .Now you just have to see if you have the kernel sources installed - go to /usr/src/ and see if
they are there .
If they are there or not I advice you first to read and put on paper this document :
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html
You will need it to help you getting everything you need to choose
what modules and how to recompile the kernel (the one you have or a
new one).

After that carefull reading you are now able to go into the kernel -
cd /usr/src/linux and do a make menuconfig
Then scroll down until ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support, then to IDE ATA and ATAPI Block devices and then enable (as a module - you don't need it in the kernel because it's not your boot drive) Promise PDC202{68|69|70|71|75|76|77} support .
Then follow all the instructions to build the kernel .

After everything is done you just have to put your module in the /etc/modules file ( please check in your /lib/modules/"kernel number"
to see the exact name of the module - I think it should be pdc202xx
).It would be a good idea to issue the commands (under root ) depmod
-a and update-modules .

I hope this is not to much at a time for you.
If you have never compiled a kernel this is a good reason to try it -
if you follow all the instructions on that document you will succeed .

If I forgot something, my apologies - someone will correct me, I am
shure.

Good luck !

John

Greetings...  Ok, I have been working on this and making some progress,
me thinks...  but not there yet.

First off, thanks for pointing me to that tutorial on building a kernel
package.  That was great.  I'm going to have to browse around there and
see what else they have.
So, I am compiling ok, I seem to be getting the module, but still no
love.

Now, can anyone tell me how the sequence of events during booting would
affect all of this?  I would think it's somewhat important.  An
extension of that question is of course, how do you control the sequence
of events when booting the kernel?

Below is part of dmesg from my Mandrake install.  I will point out that
this is happening someplace around 2/3 of the way through dmesg.
------------------------------------
PDC20268: IDE controller at PCI slot 01:02.0
PDC20268: chipset revision 2
PDC20268: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20268: ROM enabled at 0xff8e0000
   ide2: BM-DMA at 0xa800-0xa807, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
   ide3: BM-DMA at 0xa808-0xa80f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hda: Maxtor 91536U6, ATA DISK drive
hdb: Maxtor 2B020H1, ATA DISK drive
blk: queue c03cb420, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
blk: queue c03cb55c, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
hdc: ATAPI-CD ROM-DRIVE-56MAX, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: YAMAHA CRW2100E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hde: Maxtor 53073H6, ATA DISK drive

Now, here is the message for the same module from my Debian Install.  In
this case, it is the very last thing in dmesg.
PDC20268: IDE controller at PCI slot 01:02.0
PDC20268: chipset revision 2
PDC20268: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20268: ROM enabled at 0xff8e0000
   ide4: BM-DMA at 0xa800-0xa807, BIOS settings: hdi:pio, hdj:pio
   ide5: BM-DMA at 0xa808-0xa80f, BIOS settings: hdk:pio, hdl:pio

Is my problem simply one of sequence of events?  How do I control these
things?

Also, I can not see the drive with cfdisk. It would be /dev/hde right?

Well, Adrian,
I think you don't have the right entrance for hde in /etc/fstab - check
if this is true and add it there (don't forget to create the
correspondent mount point in the filesystem i.e.: /mnt/hde ).
I would not worry about the boot sequence - this is all taken care by
the /etc/rcS.d and /etc/init.d - you can read the README's on both to
have an idea how it works .

John