Re: Execute shutdown as other user than root

On 26. November 2003 at 2:00AM +0000,
Shri Shrikumar <shri@urbyte.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 18:33, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> > Clive Menzies (<clive@clivemenzies.co.uk>) wrote:

> > > FWIW KDE3.1 gives me reboot/shutdown options as an ordinary
> > > user - it configured itself that way, so I can't tell you
> > > how it is done.
> >
> > You can enable or disable this by configuring the KDE login
> > manager.
>
> Does anyone know how I can do this from GNOME? Its annoying to
> have to logout and then shutdown.

Are you talking about GDM?  You can edit the "SystemMenu" option
in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf:

# The system menu is shown in the greeter
SystemMenu=true

There's also another option for "SecureSystemMenu", which you
might need to set to "false".  I don't know how much of a
security risk this is:

# The system menu requires the root password for all options
SecureSystemMenu=false

This can also be configured "graphically" once the "SystemMenu"
is visible in the GDM greeter.