Re: python/python2.3 circularity in unstable?

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 03:54:19PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
| In a recent apt-get update/upgrade cycle on a machine running
| unstable, I seem to have stumbled over an inconsistency.
[...]
| Errors were encountered while processing:
|  /var/cache/apt/archives/python_2.3.2-6_all.deb
|  /var/cache/apt/archives/python2.3_2.3.2-6_i386.deb
| E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
|
| Is this a known inconsistency, or have I mangled something on my machine?

Check the BTS.

I think version -7 fixes the conflicting file problem.

I haven't seen a mention of this exact error message, but the
python-python2.3 relationship has been discussed quite a bit on
debian-python.  There are reasons for and against a "backwards"
dependecy on python from python2.3.  This has been changing back and
forth as various interactions and relationships are discovered and
attempts are made to solve all of the problems simultaneously.  (that
is, thus far solving one problem has created a new one, and
vice-versa)

The debian-python archives and the BTS have all the information to
date.

-D

--
If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you
probably have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO