dpkg and file ownership

Hi,

How does dpkg handle the upgrade of a package, if file ownership und
access permissions of an installed file was changed manually? Does it
keep the modified state, asks me or just reinstall the old ownership and
access permissions?

The question arises, because I want to give some users of my system the
chance to execute cdrecord with real time privileges. Cdrecord needs to
be run as root for that. So I set the suid bit for /usr/bin/drecord,
changed the ownership to root.cdrw and removed all world access bits
from that file. Now, only members of the group cdrw can start cdrecord,
but they run it as root.

Am I going to redo all this after the next upgrade of cdrecord?

Thanks in advance.

-alf