Re: RUS-CERT: Several Debian hosts compromised, archive not affected

on Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:48:37AM -0500, Andrew Schulman (andrex@deadspam.com) wrote:
> >http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/files/fw/debian-security-20031121.txt

> >[Note: The original announcement didn't have a GnuPG signature.]
>
> Why did the original announcement not have a GnuPG signature?  Is no one
> else bothered by this?  Why has there been no announcement on debian.org?

It was supersceded by a repost with a GPG signature.  Which I validated
before submitting the item to Slashdot.

www.debian.org wasn't updated for a time after the compromise because it
was among the affected servers.

There's been a bit of talk about a disaster recovery plan, including
fallback communications channels.  Things were rather ad hoc this time
around.

Peace.

    "Just another million years," said Marvin, "just another quick
    million. Then I might try it backwards. Just for the variety, you
    understand."
    -- HHGTG