ping script howto please

Hello,

As my router keep dropping connections to my modem, I need to find out why it is doing that, still not sure, so have decided to write a ping script to see if it prevents the connection dropping, but as I haven't really written a script before, how do I find out how to:

Ping the nearest computer to me (i.e. in my ISP) every 1 minute, and send a message to the IRCd if the ping doesn't come back - preferably only once until the connection comes back.

Thanks very much for your help in advance

Cheers - Piers