Re: Broken Galeon in Sarge

Thanasis Kinias wrote:

Greetings all,

I don't know if this has to do with the Debian security situation, but
the three Sarge boxes I apt-get updated yesterday all now have broken
Galeons.  Galeon refuses to execute, claiming that it can't find a gconf
schema.  I followed the instructions in the Galeon FAQ, but there are no
gconfd processes running, nor any lockfiles to delete.  It seems that
the gconf2 I pulled from testing yesterday broke Galeon.  I couldn't get
any help on #debian, and I'm a bit surprised no one has yet commented on
this on d-u.  Is this a problem that others have encountered?  If not,
what might I do to troubleshoot this?
(Note that this occurs both with $HOME on local disk and with
AFS-mounted $HOME...)

It doesn't seem worthwhile to file a bug on this, since Sarge will have
Galeon 1.3 on release...

Regards,
Galeon has been removed from Sarge. I posted a few days ago (in this list) a method to recover the bookmarks file into Mozilla/Netscrape format.

I think I read somewhere that the Galeon developer stripped a lot of functionality out of 1.3 and then left. Certainly, there appear to be questions about Galeon's future (if any).

So for me, I'll stick with clunky ol' Mozilla for the time being.