Information please!

I have always wanted to know if UNIX/LINUX is for me, and eventually replace my windows OS. I want, very much, to install it on my old system to give it a real feel/try...I have been told that DEBIAN has releases for "older" UNIX/LINUX OS's [as well as the Pentium machines]. What is it? My old system does not have a CD on it...can I still put a release on it? I can copy files to [3 1/2"] diskettes from my CD on my big system? Where can I get a "disk" [3 1/2"] version of the software? Thanks for helping me to get started!

Regards,
Vic DeWindt
Atlanta, Georgia