Re: Xaw-based applications have XOpenFont failures, but only locally

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:

> David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> writes:
>
>> Starting sometime within the past week, something has broken on my
>> (x86 unstable) system, such that Xaw-based applications won't start
>> up.  For example:
>>
>> {53} dmaze% xcalc
>> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
>>
>> Is there any way to find out which font is being looked for?
>
> Not really the answer you're looking for, but strace?

strace actually did turn out to be useful here: since the X clients
and X server are logically separate, I could watch the client send the
XOpenFont request to the server, which included the font name.
Tracking this down further revealed that the ttf-bitstream-vera font
was causing the problem; Xaw was somehow picking this as its default
font and things were dying.  I had similar problems trying with
ttf-dustin, but the TrueType fonts I have in /usr/local/share/fonts
work fine.  So it could be a problem in the ttf-* packages (but
multiple of them showed the problem), or in the XFree86 TrueType
renderer (but non-packaged fonts work fine).  I uninstalled
ttf-bitstream-vera and went on with life.

	-- Abra Mitchell