Xaw-based applications have XOpenFont failures, but only locally

Starting sometime within the past week, something has broken on my
(x86 unstable) system, such that Xaw-based applications won't start
up.  For example:

{53} dmaze% xcalc
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Value in failed request:  0x3000006
  Serial number of failed request:  27
zsh: 9254 exit 1     xcalc

This happens even if I completely remove my personal X resources
('xrdb -remove'); it seems to happen for any Xaw-based application
(xaw, xpat2, xemacs, xterm).  It doesn't happen if I ssh to another
machine (say, a Solaris dialup server) and run Xaw-based applications
from there.

Is there any way to find out which font is being looked for?  (Is this
a known problem?  Not an obvious bug against libxaw7...)  xmon looks
promising, except that xmonui is based on Xaw, so it dies on
startup...

Thanks,

	-- Abra Mitchell