Re: X Won't Start

Mark Healey wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:40:59 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Mark Healey wrote:
I previously posted this under a different subject heading and got no response so
I'm
trying again.

My X won't work with the default installation.  When I boot it tries
to start it and after several attempts I get a message telling me to
look at the log followed by one asking if I want to try automatic
configuration.  I did that and nothing changed.

Someone Suggested that I boot knoppix and copy /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
from there to my hd and reboot.  I did that.  X started but with no
mouse movement.  Just a cursor.

I have no idea where to go from here.

Sure you do. Go with the Knoppix XF86Config-4 and change the pointer
section until the mouse works.

That would require that I understand it.

Get out of X11 to a plain text screen. Move the mouse. Do you see a white cursor block moving around on the screen? If you do, then you have gpm installed/running. If not, then no gpm.

In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 there'll be a device section that looks something like this:
Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
       Driver          "mouse"
       Option          "CorePointer"
       Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
       Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection

(On Knoppix, it's likely to be much more complex; you can simplify it by deleting any lines that begin with a # sign.)

If you have gpm running, the "Device" line should be "/dev/gpmdata" AND the "repeat=" line in /etc/gpm.conf needs to be "raw"; if you don't have gpm running, the "Device" line should be something like "/dev/input/mice" or "/dev/psaux" or "/dev/serial" or "/dev/ttyS0" -- you'll have to get this right.

If you have a relatively recent standard mouse with a wheel, the protocol is almost certainly "ImPS/2". If you're running gpm, the "type=" line in /etc/gpm.conf needs to match (the match for "ImPS/2" in XF86Config-4 is "imps2" in gpm.conf).

I've always found it easier to get the mouse working in console with gpm first (no need to keep restarting X for testing - just "gpmconfig"). That'll tell you the proper device and protocol, and you can then easily tweak "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" to point to /dev/gpmdata and to use the correct protocol.

--
Kent